Skip to main content
Leave site quickly!
Leave site quickly!

Reporting crime


We are not the police and cannot provide an emergency response.

If it is an emergency, dial 999.

An emergency is when a crime is being committed or has just been witnessed, there is a risk of injury, or a risk of serious damage to property.


The emergencySMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.


If it is not an emergency, you can contact the police by dialling 101.

Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired callers can use the 101 service by textphone on 18001 101.

You can also contact your local neighbourhood policing team.

Reporting crime anonymously

If you’re worried about talking to the police, or you’re scared that someone will find out you have spoken to the police, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Crimestoppers is a charity which is entirely independent of police and they never share details with police of people who have got in touch.

Reporting crimes that happened a long time ago

You can still report crimes to the police that happened a long time ago - the process and investigation will be the same as for a recent incident.

Whatever your situation and whenever the crime took place, you are still entitled to receive help and support.

Choosing not to report the crime

You don’t have to report a crime to the police and there are many reasons people choose not to. You are still entitled to receive help and support to help you recover from what has happened.

However, if you do make a report, your information could be used to prevent future crimes and help keep people safe.

Making a complaint or requesting the right to review

As a victim of crime, you must be treated with respect by police and they should listen to and do their best to respond to any questions or concerns you have. If you don’t think you have received the service you should have from the police, you can make a complaint.

If your case does not go to court and you are unhappy with the decision made by the police and the CPS, you have a right to seek a review of the decision. This is called the 'Right to Review' scheme.

More information about complaints

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has information on its website about the police complaints system.

You can also email the IOPC on or call them on 0300 020 0096 (press 2 at prompt).

Getting help and support

All victims of crime are entitled to help and support - it doesn't matter when the crime took place, or whether or not you reported it to the police.

This is where we come in. You can call our helpline or search our directory to find the help that's right for you.

Anti-social behaviour

Some types of anti-social behaviour aren't crimes and won't be investigated by the police. However you can still get help to deal with it.

Sorry, the browser you are using is not supported.

If you would like to use this website, please update or use a different browser. We recommend Google Chrome for the best experience.

Other recommended browsers are Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer. If you are already using one of the browsers listed, then you will need to update your browser to the latest version.